Lawrence has been hard at work to get started on our front bumper design. This is what he’s done so far. This is not a final design, we are going to keep tweaking the aesthetic, then run it in OpenFoam to get the results, then tweak it a bit more based on our results.
First, parts for the BRZ/FR-S/GT86. A replacement AT paddle shifter
The paddle will be 40 mm taller overall, 25 on the top side and 15 on the bottom. The bottom can not be made any taller without running into the cruise control stalk. However, this should still be large enough to be able to shift with your hands at the 2 and 10 o’clock position or 5 and 7 o’clock position. If we can reuse the OEM electronic box, we will have a core exchange program. If we cannot reuse the OEM electronic box, we will make a custom box, and try to create an adjustable spring tension system for those who want to a heavier shift feel and would like to customize it to their preference.
We are also making two shift knobs: a Delrin piece
It will be about 55 mm tall, 50 mm in diameter, and weigh about 215 g (slightly heavier). We were also commissioned to create a SR20DET to E30 swap tach signal converter. We were going to use an off-the-shelf enclosures but they were all too large for our liking
Unhappy with this solution, we are creating a custom enclosure. The part will be made of billet aluminum, with a machined down bread board, Deutsch motorsport connectors with flying leads. This is a rendering of what it what Zach is thinking of making
After a few long nights of solving and troubleshooting, Paul was finally able to complete the splitter design for Team NLS/Pure Precision’s GTI.
We also have a Single Element Wing Version 2 ready for order. The wing utilizes a pre-preg carbon skin, with a rod and spar core, to make it highly modular. The wing span can be up to 72″ and mounting points can be located as desired.
The end link is all aluminum to resist corrosion. The turnbuckle and spacers are made of 6061-T6 due to this being a low strength application. The rod ends and jam nuts are made 7075-T6. The end link can be adjusted on the car. We were able to increase stiffness by over 300% vs. OEM while shaving off a few grams in the process. We also have a wide range of adjustment, being able to set it from around 9.5″ (OEM length) to 8.75″. The entire assembly as pictured should weigh around 1 lb. The socket head cap screw and nylon lock nut are made of stainless steel.
This is the rear end link:
Unfortunately, because the end link is so short, we could not make it adjustable on the car without making custom rod ends, we’re sorry, we tried. Like the front end links, the spacers are made of 6061-T6, the rod ends and jam nut are 7075-T6. The socket head cap screw and nylon lock nut are stainless in this application as well. The assembly should weigh about .35 lbs.
I reverse engineered the OEM intake manifold cover to get a few manufacturing quotes for rapid prototype custom covers. Since I used a friend’s cover, I designed something I thought he might like
Our manufacturer sent us a picture of the prototype.
Since we are only using it to spot check the range of adjustment, it is a highly simplified version, without all the bells and whistles. It should reach us sometime over the weekend or early next week. Once we have tested it, and make sure the adjustment we want is there, we will make any necessary corrections before we make the final model. It should end up looking like this though
The way the suspension was designed for the car means there needs to be a sacrifice in either usability, strength, stiffness, or price. After seven design revisions, this is the one we finally settled on. Since every user is different, we wanted to offer a wide range of camber adjustment, while keeping it strong and light. Although we sacrifice a little bit in stiffness by using a long adjustment link, we feel the benefits outweigh shortcomings. However, side-by-side, still managed to design a stiffer unit than stock, which will improve driver feedback.
FEA was a bit more difficult for the control arm than the toe link. This is because the damper dissipates some of the force and I don’t have ANSYS nor the skills to accurately model that. To simplify the FEA and as an added Factor of Safety in design, I used fixed hinge connections where necessary for the boundary conditions. This is a less accurate way to analyze the control arm, because the loads transferred into the model are more severe, so I knew if it could stand up to these conditions, it would be okay out in the real world.
We FEA’d the control arm for all foreseeable loading conditions, including a 4G bump
And a combined 2G bump, 2G braking, 2G cornering.
As you can see, this is the limit and is a failure mode. The adjustment link will break where it threads into the control arm. It’s highly unlikely a FR-S/BRZ could achieve this condition, but we wanted to be absolutely sure the control arms will be ready for anything. Also, remember, this on top of the extra safety factor built in from the boundary conditions.
If you compare, our control arm manages to be about 29% stiffer under combined loading, but an impressive 313% stiffer under braking! Take this with a grain of salt as the boundary conditions are imperfect, but both parts were analyzed in the exact same way.
I even did a crash scenario, loading the arm in 10G compression
Once we have finalized the production design, we will work on getting the price finalized. We will then put up an initial group buy. If we have enough buyers interested, we expect to take delivery before the end of April.